Up, Up and Away!!

It has not been the best of times, and possibly not the worst of times, however it could be better……

S and I are preparing to return to our home in Canada. In fact we are due to fly out next week, and we are really looking forward to reconnecting with our friends and S’s family. It all sounds good, however it is not so good. Today my GP advises my latest psa is 180, up from 140 just 27 days ago. S gave me my first Xgeva injection a few days prior to the blood test. The plan was to have the blood test first but circumstances got in the way. The psa rise could be due to the Xgeva injection??? Who knows? There doesn’t seem to be much information around about this, just dire warnings about necrosis of the jaw. With that in mind I visited a local dentist to have some work done. I was quoted around $500, but after an hour and a half in the chair the bill was closer to $1000. However they did a good job and I feel confident that my teeth and gums are in good condition, which will reduce the risk of necrosis. I cannot have any dental surgery while I am on Xgeva. I am to have injections every 4 weeks until I see my Oncologist in February 2018.

My doctors have been very helpful, providing me with 6 months of necessary medications. Plans for leaving were going well until yesterday when I woke up with severe pain in my hip, radiating to my back and knees. I could barely walk and I was worried that perhaps I had a fracture. So it was off to the ED at the Mater Hospital. After x-rays the diagnosis was no fracture, which was a relief. I was given stronger pain medication and sent home. The doctor advised me that the pain was probably due to cancer in the femoral head and acetabulum (the hip socket) rubbing together. For the record I had been driving a manual shift car and had driven 2 long trips a few days prior to the onset of pain. I feel sure that this aggravated my hip and caused pain.

Last night, dosed up on pain medication as prescribed, I slept well and woke feeling much less pain. The writing is on the wall. I need to be much more careful and take steps to prevent subsequent damage. I am trying out a 3 wheel walking frame with brakes. It will help keep me stable and hopefully warn others that I have a problem.

As I write, I am still in shock at hearing that my psa is up to 180. Hopefully it is just a blip. I will inform my medical oncologist of all recent developments via email, and we will see what happens next. We still intend to fly out next week as planned. Life is for living, not hanging around waiting for medical verdicts. We have done enough of that in the past 4 months. A cruise to Alaska is a distinct possibility at this time if we can get a last minute booking. Holland America Cruises, here we come!!

My sincere appreciation to all my blog mates with gratitude for your support.

Good News!!

Tuesday 15 August. The day finally arrived for the long awaited visit to the Medical Oncologist. After our previous bad experience with a registrar, we were disappointed when a young female doctor called my name. Not another registrar! How wrong we were. First she asked about my medical history and how I came to live in Canada. She discussed treatment options with insight, sensitivity and compassion.

Once she had sufficient information, including the story of how we were re-united after 51 years, she asked us to wait while she spoke to the Medical Oncologist. It turned out he is the Director of the Oncology Department and he came to see us. He explained my current status in detail and showed us the old and new psma scans side by side as he did so. He discussed treatment options and advised that as I am experiencing few symptoms at this time he feels it is too early to start chemotherapy. Apparently the Zoladex is still having a beneficial effect and he believes the sudden rise in psa was due to me not using it when it was due.

He also said that a psa of 140 was not a bad thing as it has been stable at that level for the past 2 months (apart from a brief spike of 160). He was very understanding about our desire to return to Canada and has supplied me with scripts for enough medication to last 6 months. Ideally he would like to see me in 3 months, but is happy for me to keep in touch via email, monitoring my psa and advising any change in symptoms. I am to see him again in February 2018.

So, all things considered a pretty good outcome. I need to have some dental work done prior to commencing Denosumab (Xgeva) injections every 4 weeks, to strengthen bones and hopefully slow down the bone metastases. I am also to continue Zoladex injections every 3 months. There is an increasing risk of hip and femur fracture so no more skate boarding for me! (Just kidding, I have never ridden one!) I am also taking Gumby Gumby daily, it is supposed to boost immunity and healing. The doctor said it can’t hurt, so worth a try.

So, S and I are looking forward to returning to Canada in a few short weeks. She has been very patient and I am blessed to have her in my life. My sinuses are much improved and I am feeling much stronger. Ready for the next stage in the cancer merry-go-round.

I am very grateful for the support and prayers of so many people, people I regard as friends, all around the world. Thank you, and God bless you all.