The 4th chemotherapy session did not go well. The nurse had a lot of trouble finding a vein and the infusion took much longer than usual.
The after effects were no easier to put up with and when the PSA came in it was still 500. Chemotherapy is not working and so, I will not continue with it. Quality of life is more important than quantity. 2 weeks later, the side effects are mostly gone. We met with Dr Y and I advised him that I did not wish to continue with the chemo. I also advised him that we are returning to Australia and my oncologist Dr W, at the Mater Hospital. Dr Y was supportive and optimistic as usual. He agreed that future treatment options are limited and he offered to provide a full medical history with a CD of any medical imaging for Dr W.
My sister and her husband spent a few days visiting and asked if they could meet Dr Y. He was very gracious and answered my sister’s questions. They have generously offered to let us stay with them in their home, for which we are deeply grateful. We fly out in 6 weeks with a rest stop in Honolulu as I don’t think I could endure doing the trip in one go.
Besides, I have never been to Hawaii!!
It has not been the best of times, and possibly not the worst of times, however it could be better……
S and I are preparing to return to our home in Canada. In fact we are due to fly out next week, and we are really looking forward to reconnecting with our friends and S’s family. It all sounds good, however it is not so good. Today my GP advises my latest psa is 180, up from 140 just 27 days ago. S gave me my first Xgeva injection a few days prior to the blood test. The plan was to have the blood test first but circumstances got in the way. The psa rise could be due to the Xgeva injection??? Who knows? There doesn’t seem to be much information around about this, just dire warnings about necrosis of the jaw. With that in mind I visited a local dentist to have some work done. I was quoted around $500, but after an hour and a half in the chair the bill was closer to $1000. However they did a good job and I feel confident that my teeth and gums are in good condition, which will reduce the risk of necrosis. I cannot have any dental surgery while I am on Xgeva. I am to have injections every 4 weeks until I see my Oncologist in February 2018.
My doctors have been very helpful, providing me with 6 months of necessary medications. Plans for leaving were going well until yesterday when I woke up with severe pain in my hip, radiating to my back and knees. I could barely walk and I was worried that perhaps I had a fracture. So it was off to the ED at the Mater Hospital. After x-rays the diagnosis was no fracture, which was a relief. I was given stronger pain medication and sent home. The doctor advised me that the pain was probably due to cancer in the femoral head and acetabulum (the hip socket) rubbing together. For the record I had been driving a manual shift car and had driven 2 long trips a few days prior to the onset of pain. I feel sure that this aggravated my hip and caused pain.
Last night, dosed up on pain medication as prescribed, I slept well and woke feeling much less pain. The writing is on the wall. I need to be much more careful and take steps to prevent subsequent damage. I am trying out a 3 wheel walking frame with brakes. It will help keep me stable and hopefully warn others that I have a problem.
As I write, I am still in shock at hearing that my psa is up to 180. Hopefully it is just a blip. I will inform my medical oncologist of all recent developments via email, and we will see what happens next. We still intend to fly out next week as planned. Life is for living, not hanging around waiting for medical verdicts. We have done enough of that in the past 4 months. A cruise to Alaska is a distinct possibility at this time if we can get a last minute booking. Holland America Cruises, here we come!!
My sincere appreciation to all my blog mates with gratitude for your support.