Maran-Atha!

No doubt you have looked at my avatar and wondered what it was about? Well maybe not. However, the following is the story of “Maran-Atha!”, the next boat in the series of vessels I have owned/built. Some of the photos have been rescued from a watery grave at some point and have sadly deteriorated, on the other hand, they help tell the story.

At the same time as I was building “Shiralee” a group of RAAF boys was building a 50 ft ferro-cement boat not too far from where I lived. It was a Sampson Sea Breeze, a Canadian design. The hull was launched as a bare shell with no fittings of any kind and towed to Newcastle Harbour where it sat for the next 7 years. Neglected and alone it was left moored to a long jetty. At one point floods tore it from its moorings and it was washed onto one of the harbour breakwaters where it suffered a large hole in one side, luckily above the waterline. The hulk was salvaged and towed back to its mooring. The next significant incident occurred when someone untied the mooring lines and the hull became wedged under the jetty. As the tide rose, the hull was trapped and then capsized and sank in 5 metres of water. No one took responsibility, the builders were long gone. The jetty owner was told to refloat it or face a fine. Divers went down and covered as many holes as they could. Next compressed air was pumped in to expel the water and the hull slowly came to the surface…where she was tied up and left once more.

A friend told me he had seen an ad offering a big boat for tender. “Shiralee” was becoming rather cramped as the kids were no longer babies. I took one look and recognised the boat at once. The jetty owner told me no one was interested and if I paid the cost of salvage it was mine…and that is exactly what I did. Where others could only see a dirty, damaged wreck, partly full of mud and water, I could see a beautiful ship, a new home for my family that could take us anywhere.

“It” became “She”

They say a boat is called “she” because they are often seen tied to buoys. Another reason is that it takes a lot of paint and attention to keep them looking good, although in S’s case I would dispute that! Anyway, I had the hull towed to Lake Macquarie, 15 miles up the coast, and began to rebuild and restore. The family and I had shoveled and scrubbed a couple of tons of mud out and given her a good clean up.

2013-01-12_225

This photo shows the hull after clean-up. You may spot the temporary repair to the hull, a grey patch near the mooring pile. The first job was to chip out the repaired bit, wire in new reinforcing rods and mesh and then re-plaster. When finished you would never know it was there.

2013-01-12_109

When she was hauled out of the water there was a layer of barnacles 4 inches thick.

PW001248 (2)

Cleaned up…the bottom was perfect. That’s me standing under the bow.

PW001230

Passing “Shiralee”, now painted yellow. I tried blue for the hull but did not like it.

She was so big! After “Shiralee” this was a monster. I sat inside the empty shell wondering how I was ever going to fill up so much space. Well, it is surprising how a boat can shrink once you start putting in the furniture. Many friends said I was crazy. Others wished me luck. A few pitched in and offered help. Thank you!!

Next came the cabin soles, known to landlubbers as the floor. There were four levels. We required 3 cabins (bedrooms), a head (toilet), a bathroom, a galley (kitchen), a chart table, engine room and a workshop. I had to find and fit an engine and propeller along with all the bits that make it work. She also needed a rudder. Of course, every ship must have a name. I was 27 and what was known as a “born again Christian”. I must admit I have mellowed a lot since those days. I chose the name “Maran-Atha!”. It is from the Bible and basically means “The Lord is coming!” (I still believe that, by the way, although I also believe that each of us works out our own relationship with God, or not, as we freely choose.)

I was fortunate enough to have a job where I had a company utility vehicle, access to woodworking machinery and off-cuts of good quality timber. I also had the skills I had acquired as a Marine Engineer. I made as many of the fittings as I could, fitted glazing to the portholes and built hatches and ladders for access. I found a second hand diesel engine for a very reasonable price. It weighed a ton and the crane collapsed while lifting it on board. The engine landed on the deck and amazingly no damage was done. I had a good contact at a glass company and scored some bullet proof glass for the wheelhouse. Oregon pine (Douglas Fir) was ordered from the US for the masts and they were built in the warehouse where I worked. I carried them home on top of my work vehicle…late at night! I even made the sails!

2013-01-12_32

The first galley. Later I removed the steps and rebuilt the whole thing. See next blog entry.

Two years later we were ready to go to sea! In my next blog I will describe living and traveling on board along with some alterations made as the children grew older.

4 thoughts on “Maran-Atha!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s